Thanks to the generous funding from the Federation Charity Golf Classic, the MS Society has been able to establish and sustain critical supports for individuals living with the realities of MS across rural Alberta.
Recognizing that MS is a complex disease with many uncertainties, it can be especially difficult for those living in rural areas, who can face the challenges of less access to the specialized care and the services available in larger centres.
The rural services that the MS Society has been able to establish are designed to support people living with MS and their loved ones, no matter where they live in the province, and are a reminder that no one needs to face MS alone.
The following supports are available through the MS Society to individuals affected by MS in more than 30 rural communities across Alberta:
- Advocacy – one-on-one assistance with addressing system navigation challenges or other barriers for people facing the complexities of MS
- Education – in-person and webinar options provide updates on the latest MS information, treatments, coping strategies and research developments, not only for people affected by MS but also for their support networks, including the local health-care community
- Information and Support – including extended hours of access to specially trained MS Navigators via telephone and email
- Peer Support Program and Self-Help Groups – connecting people affected by MS with others facing similar realities
- Friendly Visiting Program – connecting people living with MS who reside in a continuing care facility with friendly visitors for increased support, awareness of community resources and decreased social isolation
- Quality of Life - Equipment Grants – to provide financial assistance for the purchase of equipment that improves quality of life for people living with MS. Read all about MS 101 Signs & Symptoms
Learn more by reading the MS Society’s Alberta and Northwest Territories 2021 Rural Impact Report, which provides a detailed look at the activities underway in rural areas.